There is a better way to create the ultimate vintage looking T-shirt, without paying outrageous prices for a cotton blend shirt that’s faded juuuuust right. With a little more time and a lot less money, you can achieve this look at home. Just follow these instructions:
Follow these steps to make your t-shirt look aged or vintage:
1. Soak your T-shirt in a solution of 8 cups water and 1 Â½ cups of salt for around 3 days. To make the solution, bring the water to a boil and slowly stir in the salt. Remember to let the mixture cool off before adding your shirt, or the shirt may shrink.
2. After the 3 days are up, wring out your T-shirt and rub down both the inside and outside briefly with a super fine grit sandpaper. Go easy over any designs, silkscreening or iron-ons–the paper will take them right off.
3. Hang your shirt out to dry and fade in the sunshine.
4. Rinse the shirt quickly and wring it out in your sink.
5. Wash your shirt in the washer and dry in the dryer and you normally would.
A soft, perfectly aged T-shirt should emerge. If you have any other tips on how to create a vintage t-shirt we would love to hear them.