Skiing is probably one of the best ways to enjoy the snow that comes to the upper states every winter. If you are getting ready this winter to enjoy some skiing you need to know how to properly dress for it so that you don’t risk freezing to death.
Getting ready to ski means more than throwing on a pair of jeans and a ski jacket. As well as staying warm you need to stay dry as well. This is accomplished by dressing in a three layer approach. Here are some tips on how to dress for your upcoming ski trip:
• First layer: The first thing you will want to put on is long underwear otherwise known as thermal underwear. Long underwear has the ability to wick away moisture that will come in the form of your sweat and will not allow it to absorb into the material. This is essential so that you stay as dry as possible.
• Second layer: Your second layer of clothing will consist of sweaters and pants. Choose a good wool sweater for the best warmth and when going with pants do not choose jeans. They may start out keeping you warm but the denim will actually absorb any moisture that comes its way and eventually leave you wet and uncomfortable. Instead you can opt for a pair of polyester pants that will help you to repel any moisture that finds its way to you while keeping you warm at the same time.
• Third layer: Your third layer should consist of your ski pants and your ski jacket. These will be the thickest of all and therefore provide you with the most amount of warmth. They will also help you ward off moisture as they are made with a water resistant material that will repel a good amount of moisture.
• Footwear: When you ski you wear thick and ridged ski boots. These boots are designed to clip into your skis and are made of a material that is water proof. To keep your feet warm and protected wear a thick pair of wool socks and you will be all set.
• Other apparel: Don’t forget to wear the little things that can easily be overlooked. First and foremost you will need a good thick pair of ski gloves to keep your hands warm. You will also want to get a wool cap so your head holds in heat and thus keeps your entire body warmer. Lastly you don’t want to forget to get a good pair of ski goggles as these will keep your eyes from getting dried out in the cool winter air. You may also want to consider getting some lip balm and sun block so that your lips don’t chap and your face doesn’t get sun burnt.
Skiing is a ton of fun but that fun can be cut severely short if you do not have the right clothing on. By going with the three layer approach and remembering the little things you will ensure that you day of skiing will be filled with fun and that you will stay warm and dry.