Many women have to go to great lengths to stand out in a crowd. For tall girls, this isn’t a problem — you stand out no matter where you are! Having the height of a Greek goddess can be a fabulous thing, but putting together a sophisticated look that communicates who you really are does require a bit of practice.
For taller women, advice on how to dress well depends on the image you are going for. Some ladies are looking to emphasize the drama and elegance of their height, while others want to use every trick possible to camouflage it! Here a few helpful tips for both scenarios.
Dressing to Make the Most of Your Height
Clothing generally lays better on taller women, which is why models tend to be taller than the average woman. If genetics has blessed you with a few extra inches, you will be able to wear a wide variety of styles with ease. Try the following tricks to make the most of your height.
• Long, flowing dresses will emphasize height because the line extends from the shoulder to the floor. Wearing two separate pieces, such as a top and skirt, breaks that line.
• When choosing the color of your outfit, remember that sticking to monochromatic garments (those of the same color) will make you appear taller than using pieces of different colors. A blue top and blue pants will be more lengthening than a white top and blue pants because the two colors provide a visual line. Multiple colors break up length as well.
• Busy patterns and horizontal stripes make the body appear wider. If you prefer a pattern, stick to thin vertical stripes.
• Accessories such as hats and long scarves go a long way toward accentuating height. High-heeled shoes will also enhance height.
Dressing to Deemphasize Your Height
If you aren’t comfortable with your extra height (or your partner is shorter than you), there are many ways to draw attention away from this feature.
• Avoid long dresses that flow from head to toe. Instead, choose separates to divide up your height visually. Longer tops will take length off your legs, making you appear shorter. When wearing trousers, choose those with cuffs to make the overall leg length appear shorter.
• While those who want to emphasize height should wear monochromatic clothing, girls who are trying to draw attention away from their height have more freedom with their choice of colors. Try mixing dark and light colors to break up your body lines, and experiment with bold patterns and detailing. Wearing a belt is another way to introduce a visual dividing line that draws your eye from the left to right, instead of up and down.
• Depending on the occasion, select flats or low heels rather than tall shoes.
The art of dressing well requires much practice, no matter your size. For those lucky enough to be tall, learning to dress well will help you to embrace and enhance your beauty!